Cycling is an activity which is deeply connected with the environment, be the cyclist an outstanding grimpeur, or a wise daily commuter. Dr Pad, producer of one of the most important part of a cyclist outfit, the chamois pad, is committed to care about that environment in each step of production.
We recently introduced DR PAD ENVIRONMENTAL CARE PROGRAM, an organic program to keep control on our situation related to the origin of the raw materials, energy and water consumption, CO2 emissions, waste disposal. It consists in 6 different activities implemented in 2017 and 2018, when we decided we should take on the responsibility on the products we provide.
- Supply chain check: Our selection of suppliers is not based only on quality. Quality is the first requirement, of course, but we need to make sure about how our suppliers take care about environmental issues in buying raw materials and in all their production steps. We want cyclists to just enjoy and to benefit of all the work we’ve done in advance.
- Recycled and Bio-based fabrics: We’re always looking for the most advanced solutions in terms of sustainability. One of the paths we’re following regards yarns made out of recycled plastic. Or yarns made of castor oil, with no impact on the food chain. Performance and Ecology are the values guiding us to the choice for your products.
- Machinery & Energy efficiency: The machinery we use to make Dr Pad products is made in house. We start from the benefit we want to achieve, design and assemble the tool so that every single bolt is there with the purpose of giving you the highest quality. All of that with an eye to saving energy. Efficiency is the keyword behind the whole process.
- Foam recycling: Piling up amounts of foam waste is not a practice we can afford still for a long time: disposal is an issue we need to commit to solve. What we do, is to differentiate materials and give them to companies able to reuse, or recycle them. What we are going to do, is to find the best technologies available to have the least impact possible on the environment.
- Life Cycle Assessment: It’s a technique to assess environmental impacts associated with all the stages of a product’s life from raw material extraction through materials processing, manufacturing, distribution, use, repair and maintenance, and disposal or recycling.
- ISO 9001 Certification: “The good practice in the conduct of business on a global basis” involves an attentive optimization of all processes. Optimization means to work more efficiently, to product more, to spend less, to waste less. We can reduce prices, keeping a high quality level, and being careful about environment.
Pad replacement service (Bonus Track): We introduced a unique service, oriented to cyclists: we give new life to their garments, replacing the worn or poor pad with a new Dr Pad one. The new pad will be chosen amongst our collection, with attention to the cyclist needs. Getting new bibshorts has never been that easy, and environment friendly.